freeknittingpattern

Winter Morning…

By December 25, 2013 7 Comments

My favorite thing to do while the kids are off for Winter Break is to fill up my Travel Mug with piping hot coffee, bundle up myself and the kiddos and go for a Winter walk. Something about the crisp, cool chill of Winter makes me feel even warmer. How is that possible?

Maybe it’s just the thought that for two whole weeks, I get my little munchkins all to myself. These are those little moments that you have to cherish now. They won’t last forever. So I cherish them EVERY season.

This Ear Warmer was a super quick knit that I made after such a walk. It was early in the morning. The kiddos were warm, of course because they were running up trees and onto light posts and crawling onto rocks and playing in streams. All the things that kiddos do whilst mom is walking a boring straight line. And since all I was doing is walking a boring, straight line, I was not as warm as they naturally were. Especially my ears.

The next morning, I wore my new Ear Warmer and warm I was!

This pattern is a super easy and lightning quick knit! You’ll only need around 40 yards of Super Bulky weight wool and size #13 needles. The pattern is also charted. The first stitch of each row is slipped which makes the warmer curl over on the edges so they hug your ears. Perfect! This headband also works great over your earbuds so they don’t shake loose when you’re on a run.

This is a FREE pattern and you are welcome to share it with others. Enjoy your winter mornings, with toasty ears. Β πŸ™‚

Direct Download:

Download (PDF, Unknown)

Check out these other FREE Patterns:

Join the discussion 7 Comments

• Bri says:

Trying to figure out this pattern. Row 5 Sl first st knitwise k2,p2, 4st lc,p2,k3. I have watched videos on how to do left cable st. If you add up all of the stiches in this row it is more then 14 st. I’m confused.

• sarah says:

Is there any way to knit this with circular needles without totally changing the pattern? I dont have the proper size straight needles on hand and i’m really interested in making this! I never stray from patterns when i knit because i’m still a beginner i guess? So i dont know if its possible to use a pattern for straight needles on circular needles..

Thanks! It looks amazing from your photos!

• Kalurah says:

Yes, Sarah. Just knit the pattern as written, working back and forth as if one end of the circular were a straight needle and the other end is another straight needle. Of course, do not join your work in the round. πŸ™‚

• shari says:

thank you, Erin! making this tonight.

• Erin says:

So, I figured it out! πŸ™‚ If anyone is interested, this is how I got the chain selvedge on both sides: slip 1st stitch wyib on every row, purl the last stitch on every row. It changes the pattern just a little bit but the results are wonderful. Thank you so much for this pattern. It’s one of my favorites!

• Erin says:

Is there a way to make the top and bottom edges the same? When slipping the stitch purlwise, the edge is open and when slipping it knitwise, it is a nice braid. I’ve been experimenting with some different techniques and can’t figure it out. I’d like the nice braid on both ends.

• Theresa says:

Fast project, glorious results!

Please, let me know what you think...